The Institute of Gypsy Culture awards the Farrucos Family
The Gala on April 8 will present the award in the category "A lifetime achievement" for the family's influence on flamenco dance.
The Farrucos family has been awarded by the Gypsy Culture Institute in the category "For a whole career" for being "one of the most influential gypsy sagas of dancers in the world of flamenco", said the institution.
The awards ceremony will take place at 8 p.m. on April 8, coinciding with the Day of the Gypsy People, in the Auditorium 400 of the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid.
Other award winners
The ceremony will be presided over by the Director of the Gypsy Culture Institute, Diego Fernández, and will be attended by all the Roma people recognized in each of the award categories:
- To the concord: Zuloaga Foundation. Organism destined to the diffusion and investigation in the Cultural scope with a special entailment with the Gypsy People.
- Sports: Zulaima Tirado. Teacher and professional in the sport discipline of Karate.
- Fine Arts: Ceija Stojka's family: Hojda and Nuna Stojka. Family that maintains the legacy of the Austrian writer, painter and musician of Roma origin who survived the holocaust, a situation that is reflected in her paintings.
- Music: "Alexian" Santino Spinelli. Renowned Italian musician, composer and teacher, who spreads Romani music all over the world.
- Communication: Sebastián Porras and Mercedes Porras. Members of the Board of Directors of the Pere Closa Private Foundation and presenters of our previous awards galas of the Institute of Roma Culture 8 de Abril.
- Literature and Performing Arts: Ms. Carmen Chaplin and Ms. Dolores Chaplin. Actresses of British French origin, descendants of Charles Chaplin.
- Research: Ian Hancock. Researcher, writer and Roma activist of English origin.
- New Creators: Antón Cortés. Prodigy pianist who at only 14 years old has made history in the world of music.
This is not the first time that flamenco artists have received the award from the Institute of Gypsy Culture. In 2022 both Israel Fernández and Roby Lakatos were awarded and even ALL FLAMENCO received the Communication award that same year.